Sunday, July 25, 2010

THE THREE MINI-PERIODS OF GEORGIAN FURNITURE



In my last post, we looked at an overview of Georgian furniture from the reign of George I in the first quarter to the reign of George II around mid-century and ending with the reign of George III, beginning in 1760.

Now let's look at each of these three Georgian "mini-periods" separately:

Early Georgian (George I, 1714-1727)-architectural in style, heavier and symmetrical, more in the Baroque taste):





Mid Georgian (George II, 1727-1760)-lighter and more curvy, more in the Rococo taste but also more subdued than French or Italian Rococo; mahogany replaces walnut as the wood of choice:



Late Georgian (George III, 1760-until Regency 1820)-designs are in the Neoclassical taste:








Now forget everything we've learned about Georgian I, II and III furniture because in my next post down we're going to talk about the red herring (mmmm. I love herring) of Georgian 18th century English furniture, the style known as Palladian.

No comments: