Friday, April 10, 2009

Is the Southwestern look about to make a comeback or do I need an interior designer?

Dearest The Buzz,

Back in the 1970's, I decided to get rid of all my period antiques and redo my entire home myself in a handsome and fashion forward SOUTHWESTERN theme. Here's my living room:
Then I started reading your blog and it occurred to me that Southwestern might be going out of style.

Q: What's your honest impression of my living room (above) and  my bedroom (below)?:

A: Well, you probably should ask a professional designer since that's what they do. What I do is sell antiques, restore them and make custom furniture. 

Q: OK, but do you think that Southwestern design is poised to make a comeback?

A: Honestly, no, or at least not in this lifetime. Sadly, I feel the same way about the Hustle and the Lambada ("The Forbidden Dance!!")-comebacks are just not in the picture for them either-although I do miss them, especially at bar mitzvahs.

Q: Ok, so do you think I should hire a top interior designer (from your favorites list of course) to do a makeover?

A: A design makeover for your home might be just the thing!  Hmmmmm. I would approach it this way: what's more expensive, an interior designer or a bulldozer? I'd go with your wallet on this one.

P.S. All kidding aside, if you're considering redesigning your home or just giving it an "update", the only way to go is with a professional designer. They have the skill set and staff that you really need to bring a home together so that everything "works" and the look is right.

In my opinion, most folks really don't understand the myriad of skills, sources, and expertise areas that these professionals have. But let me tell you, in the end, a talented designer is one of the best investments you can ever make in what is probably your most valuable asset: your home.

Happy trails,

The Buzz

No comments: